Nigel,

Other Twitter iPhone clients are now kaput. You cannot compete with
the official Twitter iPhone client, which is given away free of
charge. There are quite a few "valued" developers who are having a
very ruined day.

Clients like TweetDeck and Seesmic should still be okay, because they
are more general social media clients.

One would be very disrespectful of the value of one's own time, if one
now starts developing something that's exclusively a Twitter service.

Please read what Jesse wrote. It is an extremely smart strategy. One
such definition of "your core" might be "multi social services XYZ,"
which would describe the "core" of TweetDeck and Seesmic.