The answer, Abraham, is nothing stops them.

Reread what Evan Williams said here:
http://dld.bz/PG5

"Twitter will continue to buy or develop apps and features it needs,
even if third-party developers already provide them."

It clearly means Twitter intends to directly compete with its
developer ecosystem.

It's not coincidental and it is not accidental. It's a conscious and
deliberate management decision.