On 04/09/2010 09:20 PM, Raffi Krikorian wrote:
>    - don't have time to sit and watch twitter 24/7/365.  while i love to
>    scan through my timeline, frankly, that's a lot of content.  can you
>    summarize it for me?  can you do something better than chronological sort?

Yeah ... I think a fair number of people want something like that. If
Twitter would like to build it, grab me at Chirp and I'll give you some
pointers to the relevant NLP literature. It's not a small enough project
for a single-man shop like myself.

>    - want to understand what's going on around them.  how do i discover
>    people talking about the place i currently am?  how do i know this
>    restaurant is good?  this involves user discovery, place discovery, content
>    analysis, etc.

I think that ship has sailed, and the liner companies are Google, Yahoo,
Yelp, Foursquare, Gowalla, Facebook, etc. Twitter's way late to that
party. I'm not saying there aren't opportunities in location-based
services - in fact, I think Twitter's cautious approach to a subject
that others seem to be gung-ho about is the strategically correct one.
But Twitter had a really cool location demo at SxSW and just about
everybody ignored it and focused on the Foursquare / Gowalla smackdown.
And everyone is waiting for Facebook to drop the other shoe.

Then again, I haven't heard about @anywhere yet. ;-)

>    - want to see what people are talking about a particular tv show, news
>    article, or any piece of live-real-world content in real time.  how can
>    twitter be a "second/third/fourth screen" to the world?

Now *that* one I like! Twitter as the world's real-time newspaper,
complete with weather, sports, traffic, celebrity gossip, letters to the
editor, etc. I think you could wipe "USA Today" off the map (pun intended).

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net @znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős