On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Abraham Williams <4bra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If they light bulb had no cost (such as electricity) and automatically turns
> on when needed why would you turn the light switch off?

Because the light bulb comes on when you would like it to stay off, obviously.

We could argue all day about why, but it comes down to preference.
Turning the light off makes some people feel better. Telling them
"that's just too bad" and ignoring them isn't very nice, and it
strikes me as arrogant to insist that an API knows the needs of the
application using it better than the developers BUILDING that
application.

Once upon a time, we used to say "UNIX doesn't stop you from doing
stupid things, because that would stop you from doing clever things."
It may seem stupid to revoke the access, but in a tiny minority of
cases it may be clever, and for that reason alone you may want to
consider including it.