Hi Clint,

The Tweet Button will wrap any URL sent to it as a t.co link so although you
can use your own shortener we will still create a t.co link for it. We don't
unwrap the short URL, so any analytics you have attached to your shortener
can still happen. We also return the URL you sent us with our API responses
so clients can display your URL whilst linked to t.co first. This is made
possible by passing the flag include_entities=1 to any method that returns a
status.

You can learn more about t.co here:
  http://support.twitter.com/entries/109623

Hope that helps,