What about users who want their tweets to be repeated? Politicians,
celebrities, product managers, and many others use Twitter as a
broadcast medium. You can argue that this is wrong, or that Twitter is
only for direct contact between one person and another, but that is
like saying paper was only intended to write letters between two
people. Twitter is a medium that will be used in many ways. It is just
in its infancy. I know one thing, Twitter will be around long after
the "power to the people" perspective of Web 2.0. Long after anyone
remembers what Web 2.0 and user generated content mean.

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 12:54 AM, L. Mohan Arun <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Twitter or the user own the copyrights. Probably both. I meant it has
> been made public
> information, thereby granting some rights to those it was made public
> to."
>
> This is a good point, makes one think: "What exactly are the rights
> someone
> is implicitly giving up just by posting it in a public forum, and if
> someone else is found
> using such posted contents inappropriately, at a later date, what
> legal recourse does
> the original poster have, to have the inappropriate usage rescinded
> and compensated for damages"
>
> From an authority source:
> "Merely posting a work online does not relinquish all rights. As in
> other environments, merely placing property in public does not release
> property rights. The Internet context, however, may indicate that some
> actions with respect to the work are implicitly permitted." (as long
> as it doesnt harm the poster and the forum from which the post was
> taken)
>
> This is from
> http://www.ipinfoblog.com/archives/intellectual-property-posting-as-implied-license.html
>
> Facebook made the same argument.
> “Anyone can opt out of appearing here by changing their Search privacy
> settings.”
>
> And someone asks "Yeah, but should they have to?"
> http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/28/hacker-proves-facebooks-public-data-is-public/
>
> I imagine this whole 'using twitter tweets only for analysis/
> aggregation' is a non-issue, because you are only statistically mining
> info, without any personal data attached to it. But RapLeaf removed
> identifying info (name, tel, etc) from their profile databases once
> complaints started coming in. To be safe, if you are mining tweets
> only for analysis, I wouldnt store the userid, because userid is
> 'identifying info' that can be used to tie the tweet to its
> originator. Most people wont bother, because the prevailing idealogy
> is that if you tweeted, then you understood that the whole world knows
> what you tweeted and you cant take the knowledge back.
>
> ~~~ Mohan Arun ~~~

> Change your membership to this group:

Adam Green
Twitter API Consultant and Trainer