Just to clarify. I never said they were Public Domain. Twitter or the user
own the copyrights. Probably both. I meant it has been made public
information, thereby granting some rights to those it was made public to. I
wouldn't have a right to redistribute a book written by you, but I have
every right to quote it in an article I write about you.
More importantly, I can read 1000 books by 1000 different people and then
write a paper that says 50% of the books written contained the word 'Obama'
and  and the average amount of times "Obama" was used in a book was 14.
I wouldn't be breaking any laws.
But who cares.
In the future, if you want to access the Twitter data for such usage with
any sort of speed you will pay to do so. It won't even be worth the headache
if you can devise an alternative.