I'm conducting a research project involving proactively identifying
twitter spam accounts before they actually start spamming.  I've
observed that some spammers attempt to create tweets that look like
they're a legitimate account prior to actually sending spam and my
project is to be able to identify those accounts as soon as they pop
up.

Unfortunately (I can't believe that I'm writing this) I am having a
hard time getting spammers to actually spam me.  Is there any way that
I can somehow get access to the tweets of several dozen spam accounts
(prior to when they're shut down) so that I can see what they're
posting?  Is this possible somehow?

Also, if anyone gets spammed regularly, are you interested in helping
me out with my research?  No guarantee that I'll actually publish
this, but anyone interested will be credited in my paper in the
acknowledgements.  Thanks
-Jeff Tucker
Lecturer, DigiPen Institute of Technology
www.digipen.edu