"Is there any way that I can somehow get access to the tweets of
several dozen spam accounts
(prior to when they're shut down) so that I can see what they're
posting?  Is this possible somehow?"

I think this is not possible as yet. (unless you are twitter
themselves, they have the data but I
dont think it is 'exposed')

"I'm conducting a research project involving proactively identifying
twitter spam accounts before they actually start spamming."

How do you plan to identify a priori, those accounts that are likely
to start
spamming before they even send out their first spam, if access to
tweets of 'suspended' twitter spam accounts is not possible?

http://MohanArun.com/how-to-identify-twitter-spam/

- Mohan