Hello,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:46 PM, S.Korotky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> SZ wrote:
> > yes we hit the 2GB limit BUT WHY as we have 300MB
> > memory usage for the rest of the program and the cache uses only 1GB.
> > IOW, where does the 700MB go?
> I'm afraid you should better know what memory overheads are produced in your
> application than I or someone else. The actual memory consumption is shown
> in the task manager, so if it says 2Gb this is 2Gb.

In our cache design, we have one TMemoryStream per cached URL object
and it also has a critical section. So knowing the "memory overhead"
is not sufficient in our case...

> > I think it is lost due to memory fragmentation
> > (lack of FastMM doing what it's supposed to do). Has anybody seen such
> > problem before?
> The memory fragmentation is under your control to a certaing degree, depending
> from memory allocation/reallocation/release policy (not only in the cache but
> throughout the application).

In the code, the constructor for each URL cache object constructs the
memorystream and the cs. How else could it be??

> Anyway this seems a little bit offtopic for ICS.

A bit yes. But I think it will be valuable info for other 24/7 server authors.

Thanks a lot,

SZ