Thanks for the links, it's an interesting read. What still goes beyond me though, is that all I see in the diagram seems to be hardware independent stuff, so how could it ever happen that it behaves different on different machines?

That's the point: IMO the issue comes from the software which is likely to be different on each system because different applications are installed and service pack level or patch order, or whetever is different.

if you have a brand new PC, two things are interesting:
1) Do a full backup on the offending backup and do a restore on the new hardware. If problem is gone then the hardware is the culprit. If the problem persists, then the software is the culprit and go to the second option
2) Reinstalling from scratch, with original media and see if it occurs.

--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be