On 7/13/2011 15:07, Francois PIETTE wrote:
Thanks for the links, it's an interesting read. What still goes beyond me though, is that all I see in the diagram seems to be hardware independent stuff, so how could it ever happen that it behaves different on different machines?

That's the point: IMO the issue comes from the software which is likely to be different on each system because different applications are installed and service pack level or patch order, or whetever is different.

if you have a brand new PC, two things are interesting:
1) Do a full backup on the offending backup and do a restore on the new hardware. If problem is gone then the hardware is the culprit. If the problem persists, then the software is the culprit and go to the second option
2) Reinstalling from scratch, with original media and see if it occurs.

Unfortunately, this is not an achievable option atm. The machines which do work are installed at a client in Cardiff (UK). I have two machines here, and both don't work, even after reinstall. Currently in debate with the manufacturer. It seems the only difference between the two machines is the layout of the components on the mainboard, chipset, NIC and other hardware (should be) identical.

Stupid thing is, from logical point of view, you can rule out both hardware and software, hardware cause it's been either fully replaced (mainboard) or does work in another machine (NIC). Software because the same software does work on another machine, and stays persistent after full/clean install (original media).