OK - I feel foolish now.

I have twin monitors, covered in windows for different things.
Just tried your program again and noticed the tiny corner of a pop up window
poking out from under another window.
It was the firewall in my AV asking if I wanted to allow your program access to
the internet!
I didn't spot that before so I never said yes.
Now I have you program works fine - obviously, as its the same mechanism doing
the sending, its just my firewall recognised it as a different program running.

Sorry for the bother
Howard