We have been live since October.  Everything is fine at the Universe
level.  We havent had any major issues at all.
One thing we used to do to get users off at the end of the night or when
needed is to do a 'MASTER OFF ALL'.  It doesn't work on the Linux
version.  Other than that, Universe is peachy.

I find that support for Linux is generally lacking.  Red Hat support is
'alright'.  We have RedHat support thru IBM, which is much better than
the RedHat support (IBM is usually a knowledgeable person that speaks
English very well vs the RedHat guy who is not always very knowledgeable
and has an accent that requires a special hearing device to interpret).
IBM support is cheaper too.  We keep RedHat for the up2date
functionality and the resources they have.  It really is a nice way to
keep things current.

Are you using all Dell Hardware ?

We are running an IBM xSeries Server and an EMC Clariion.  We are having
performance issues with intensive writes to the disk array.  There is a
minor issue with this when doing the same kind of operation on the
internal disks.  Intensive disk writes could be an batch application
that reads records from one file, deletes and writes to another (say
100,000 records type 30 files with indexes).  We do this for archiving
data.  It could be a linux 'cp' command copying a large file (100meg) to
the disk array. What happens is that the system goes into an iowait
state and user response is non-existent.  Sometimes, the system will
hang for close to a minute until the i/o completes.  We are also using
Qlogic 2340 HBA's to connect the IBM to the Clariion.  If you look thru
the RedHat Bugzilla, there have been issues with the driver for this
hardware.  We will be testing out some Emulex cards next week to see if
that improves things.

If you have the luxury to evaluate your system, definitely try copying
some large files or 'archiving' type processes while users are on.
Monitor performance with the 'top' command.  Then determine if things
are acceptable.

We converted from a DG/UX box with a Clariion.  Performance was never
really an issue on that platform and these types of operations would
absolutely go unnoticed.

EMC has been trying to help with the issue since February.  I have to
say that their support SUCKS !!!  It seems that there is no one there
that knows anything about Linux.  I am finding this in general.  When
you mention that you are running Linux, a dark cloud appears.  So, you
probably will not get the excellent type of support that you might be
accustomed to with Solaris.

I would assume that you like Dell support ?  My experience with them is
that they went from once upon a time very good (8 years ago or so) to
the pits.  Every time I call, I get transferred overseas to India and
the conversation is almost unbearable.  Recently, I ordered an extra cpu
for our testmachine, which is a Dell.  They cancelled it with out any
notice !  When I called to reorder, they said I couldn't, because it
wasn't in stock.  So, I have to keep calling until I get a 'hit'.  This
is really a joke.  Luckily, our var deals with Dell and was able to get
parts.

If you would like to know more about the performance issue, email me
directly and I will share whatever information I have.

Anthony Dzikiewicz
IT Manager
Alperts Furniture