As a gentoo user and contributor I can say make sure you are using a
current valid profile for your platform and make sure you properly
configured your /etc/make.conf.

There are many advantages to running Gentoo.  1st off it's compiled and
optimized for your architecture, this means it's extremely fast!
Second...
IN PLACE OS upgrades are awesome and work well.  If your are a newbie
then I suggest first download a live cd or dvd for your architecture.
Hit the gentoo website read up on how to install, if you have any
questions someone is always willing to help through the gentoo forums.

Gentoo isn't meant to be an "easy" install.  For those of us who are
tech savy there are many benfits from utilizing this distribution.

I currently use gentoo on:
AMD
PPC
AMD64bit
PPC 64bit
Efika Embedded Controller

I'd like to see an Open source version of UV.  IBM forgot that Linux
runs on myany platforms.  My Linux servers at home are all PPC.  If I
was going to play with uv at home I'd run it on one of my servers.  My
PPC servers have
Mysql 5.0 (evolving nicely!)

Jerry Normandin

|       System Level II
Intuit Eclipse
Distribution Management Solutions

75 Perseverance Way
Hyannis, MA 02601
T 508.778.9151 Ext. 1245
F 508.778.6443
www.eclipse.intuit.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) above only,
and may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. If
review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this e-mail and
any attachment(s) thereto is prohibited.