Tony, good post. I agree with some of your points and others I
disagree with. Your point about commercial support in particular. But
I will refrain from counter point because it would take this thread
off point and that is not it's purpose. Thanks for your thoughts.

I had the day off from work, my daughter is ill, so I have had some
time to reflect on the problem. Using LaTeX or Tex may be a bit much
for some and as such I will probably forgo that option in the end
anyhow. While I know a little LaTeX ...it's not all that hard.... I
can't straddle my successors with an unnecessary burden.

Neither myself nor my company has a problem spending $300 or $3000 for
software if it is best for us. Best for us is does not mean Best in
Class either. Money is a factor but not as much as the technology
itself.

Norm