From: David Jordan
> Hi Tony
> I partly agree with you.  But I should be able to
> process xml data in UniVerse far simpler than at the
> moment.  I should not have to read xml in one
> application, convert it to a dynamic string and then
> send it to universe/unidata, I should just be able to
> do it one step.   This is a failing of Rocket to
> provide suitable interfaces to unibasic.

(In my last note here of the day... YAY!)

David, we actually do agree.  My position has always been that
the DBMS vendors need to provide us with connectivity that makes
it easy for us to make use of specialized tools.  If they were to
just do that effectively, then they wouldn't need to keep trying
to create their own unique functionality, with varying degrees of
success.  They could spend more time focusing on the things that
only they can do, like making a great DBMS even better.

Coincidentally, earlier today I was prompted to make the exact
same comment in the QM forum to Martin Phillips.  The paragraphs
below came from that  note.  My intent there is on making it
easier for "us" to add value to the DBMS, where above I'm saying
Rocket should add connectivity which allows "us" to connect to
outside tools to add value.  It's all the same.

=========
..... changes should strive toward facilitating developer
independence.  In other words, rather than just implementing X
for release a.b-c, consider implementing tools which allow others
to implement X, and Y, and Z.  As you implement X, consider what
changes to the underpinnings of X would allow developers in the
field to later do Y and Z.  Your single development effort will
go a lot further as you implement extensibility rather than just
features.  ...  Sure, features are required, but there's always a
new feature for which users are going to be dependent on you, and
that takes your time from more significant efforts.  Your skills
(IMHO) should be utilized for making a better database engine,
not so much for adding features on top of that engine - though of
course there is considerable overlapping area there.  And again,
I wish other companies also followed this model.

I'm reminded of the OO principle, code to the interface, not the
implementation.  The DBMS needs to be a huge collection  of
abstract base classes on which we can build, where traditionally
we get a steady diet of cool but isolated concrete classes.
(That may only make sense to people who have read about design
patterns.)
=========