I have used Nagios for monitoring systems.networks very successfully. You can monitor your entire network from a single point and go from things as simple as 'is this thing pingable' to has the disk space on drive X changed by more than 10%' or "Are the following list of services available on this machine".

Oh, and did I mention it's free.

Rutherford, Marc wrote:
I have a request to help setup a monitoring process for Unidata on HP-UX.  So
far the outside tools have not been specified, but will most likely be MS
Windows based.

I am looking for any examples/documentation on what can be done to provide
visibility  into system status.  Has anyone done something similar before?
What Unidata and/or HP manuals should I look for?

Marc Rutherford
Principal Programmer Analyst
Advanced Bionics LLC
661) 362 1754