Ditto to what Jeff said.  Nagios is extremely flexible.  I use it to
monitor everything from user count, CPU usage, and partition space on
the UV server to fan, temperature, and power supply status on Cisco
routers and HP switches.  Nagios is free and there are a whole host of
free, custom-made plugins available for monitoring a wide array of
devices.  You can also alert different people via various means
depending on the specific service being monitored and the severity of
the problem.  Eg: if a server is down, you might want a page or SMS
message 24x7, but if new Windows server updates are available, you might
just want an email once a week during business hours.  If you run Nagios
on CentOS (also free), the only investment is your time.  These links
are a good starting point:

http://www.nagios.org/
http://exchange.nagios.org/

Go here for installation instructions specific to CentOS:

http://docs.cslabs.clarkson.edu/wiki/Install_Nagios_on_CentOS_5

There is a free add-on available called Pnp4Nagios that can produce nice
graphs on the fly of things like disk space and CPU usage over various
time periods:

http://docs.pnp4nagios.org/pnp-0.6/start

And my favorite free add-on is a tool called NagVis that produces a
real-time graphical map of your entire network:

http://www.nagvis.org/

Healthy devices are green, ones with warning-level problems are yellow,
and anything critical is red.  I use a Window 7 active desktop gadget to
keep it visible at all times. It also produces a buzzer sound through
the PC speakers when something goes critical.

-John