Prime Information was originally developed by Devcom I'm not sure what the name
was at that time but I do know that Prime Computers bought them out and bought
the rights from Pick to develop independently. Prime became a database
powerhouse with the product at one time encompassing almost 50% of the database
business in the US. From what I heard Vmark was a group of users of Prime
Information that decided to go UNIX so they developed UniVerse borrowing much
of the expertise from Prime to build a product that would ride on UNIX instead
of Primos, Prime's operating system. They even took over some of the offices
that Prime had on Speen Street. When Prime went under, don't ask why, at the
end of the 80's, early 90's, Vmark bought Prime Information.