Dang, David, you beat me to it. ;^) I was just going to suggest the same thing. Just because the OP wanted to use ED (a hammer) to drive in a screw doesn't mean that it is the best tool ( a screwdriver). Good answer.

Charlie Noah

On 05-28-2013 3:42 PM, David A. Green wrote:
I would take my saved list and copy it to a text editor then using copy
commands and a quick macro convert the list into a bunch of COPY FROM FILE.A
BAD.KEY, GOOD.KEY commands.  Then save it as a PA and then execute it.

David A. Green
(480) 813-1725
DAG Consulting

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of David Wolverton
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:48 AM
To: 'U2 Users List'
Subject: [U2] UniData PreStore to change the KEY of a record?

I am always using what I call 'PreStore' command...

In the AE editor, I need to change  Attb 2  from   A]thisbad]C]D   to be
A]thisgood]C]D  on a list of items...

So I get the list, AE FILENAME and then...

=FIX 2`R/thisbad/thisgood/`FI`=FIX

Viola!  The data is updated.

I have a need to 'fix' a KEY to a record...

Is there a way to use a PreStore command that could do that?  It's 95
records.  Too many to hand edit.  Too few to write a program.  A PreStore
would be JUST RIGHT... if there was a way to do it!

DW