Dawn, just to add my 0.02, I have a couple of production CentOS servers but run
UV on RHEL.  UV is the most mission-critical app we have and I feel it would be
too much of a risk to run it on an unsupported platform.  And I would take
Tony's point that Linux has the exact same update headaches as Windows one step
further and say that it's worse.  I choose to run UV on RHEL because I rely
heavily on custom UV integration with system utilities like cron and
open-source apps like postfix, cURL and wget.  Installing all available updates
a la Windows on the RHEL UV box is something I'd never do, though, because the
risk of breaking something is too high.  To give an example, I installed all
the latest updates on the less mission-critical of our CentOS servers a while
back and it broke the freeRADIUS service we use to authenticate wifi clients
via Active Directory.  Fortunately the other CentOS server is a backup
freeRADIUS server, but it was still time consuming to fix.  When RH or CentOS
updates an app, any config files replaced are backed up in the current location
with an extension of ".rpmnew".  When freeRADIUS starts up it reads every
config file in its directory regardless of name, so this totally borked the
installation.  Fixing it was a matter of opening both the old and new versions
of all 7 replaced config files in a GUI text editor with diff capability and
painstakingly merging the original config into the new files.  I probably spent
a couple of hours on it, and that was just one application.  UV is in use 24x7
and an outage like that on our UV server would be catastrophic.

Having said that, I think a case could be made for running UV on CentOS if the
initial installation runs stably and you don't plan to patch it.  I would
thoroughly test every aspect of UV, but once you're certain it's stable, you
aren't likely to need support if you don't break anything going forward.  Lack
of patches sounds like a security risk on the face of it, but good security
isn't a black and white issue.  If no unnecessary services are listening on the
box, no end users have direct access to the OS shell, and the box isn't
directly open to the internet, it's pretty secure IMHO.  RH may issue a ton of
"critical" security updates for various services, but if you're not running
those services, or if a user needs OS shell access they don't have to execute a
privilege escalation, those updates are irrelevant.  There are lots of add'l
security measures that you can take to further protect the server, such as
installing the free OSSEC intrusion detection utility from Trend Micro and
running ssh on a non-default port.  As Dan said, the question of whether or not
to run UV on an unsupported platform really depends on the risk tolerance of
the client where it's installed and how they're using it.  It's not appropriate
for our environment, but if someone else decides the cost savings outweigh the
risks for them after carefully considering both, I wouldn't necessarily tell
them it's a bad idea.

-John