*From:* antli...@youngman.org.uk
*To:* u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
*Date:* 7/17/2013 12:25 PM
*Subject:* Re: [U2] CentOS with Universe?
On 17/07/2013 19:09, Bill Haskett wrote:
Dawn:

I kind of figured. :-) Whatever you decide, I'm sure would be fine. I would just not look for anything "free", because nothing is "free".

"It's only free if your time is worth nothing" - I think that's one of Tony's quotes. Just don't forget, linux is "Free", which is completely different.

I run everything on Windows because everything in the O/S is updated and I know every machine I run is running the same version of Windows. It seems when Windows updates I have very few problems with the software I'm running on the machine. Surprisingly, this makes my life a lot easier. IIS is easy to install, and 3rd party SFTP is too, with virtual accounts as act like real Windows accounts.

And yet we hear loads of stories about how updates regularly break Windows ... although they tend to be client stuff that suffers most of that. The counter-advantage of linux is it's easy to run a stripped-down box with only the services you want. Especially with a net-facing system, how easy is it to run Windows with everything except IIS locked-down/disabled/deleted?

And on linux you have total control over updates too. I don't think you want to run gentoo like me, but if you've got someone who can administer the system you could run Apache on one system facing the net, on a totally locked-down system (maybe even with a DVD as your system drive) with a firewall between that and your UV system.

I'd be a little bit worried about having just one Windows system, net-facing, running both the web server and the database.

Although I run UniData, I think UniVerse is just as stable on Windows as it is on ..nix. Although you may have specific reasons to run on ..nix I would think "free" shouldn't be one of them.

Just a thought.

A sensible thought :-) but you can see which way I'd go :-)

Cheers,
Wol