We're actually on the same page, Doug, thanks. What was on my mind is that
while everyone "knows" they need to diversify, too many do not actually
diversify. I know some very smart, highly expert BASIC people who have known
for many years that they need to do something beyond BASIC, but they don't.
With the recession at its peak people were being sacked everywhere and
BASIC-only people were in a panic about what they would do if they lost their
job. What did they do? Some went looking for more BASIC-only jobs, though some
people cross-trained, and others took the opportunity to retrain themselves
completely out of the industry. I don't want to be anecdotal, I'm citing a
general flaw that many of us share to some degree. My last four blogs discuss
in various ways how MV people cling so dearly to MV-only, to their own
detriment and that of this industry. http://Nebula-RnD.com/blog/

Keeping this on-topic, it's not enough for an individual to know that they need
to cross-train. A valued employee will do some of it on their own, off-hours,
because that's how professionals hone their craft. And they'll ask their
company for classes and time to practice on app modernization that the company
values. They'll get books and spend time on websites for JavaScript and .NET
and HTML5, etc. They'll mention other technologies
 that can be used to satisfy current business requirements. They'll take
initiative on their own behalf,
 as a matter of their own
 survival. When they get a new job they'll ask about how they're going to
improve their skills in addition to how they're going to use their current
skills to help the company. This is the kind of person who distinguishes
themselves as a long-term contributor compared to someone who's just selling
time for money. Unfortunately our industry doesn't have enough of these people,
both in end-user shops and in the VAR channel, and this is why we have a high
attrition of end-users leaving to other technologies. (I'm hoping some of our
colleagues out there are now thinking about how to open a new discussion with
their managers.. If you'd like some help with that, please feel free to email
me off-list. TG at-remove-this-anti-spam-mungeNebula-RnD.com.)

Best,