On unix, you could always hook into the uv.rc script.  I don't have an
example to look at right now, but just before the end of the startup stanza
you could add a line something like:

exec /usr/local/my.coldstart.sh

where my.coldstart.sh is a custom script that can do all the things you
mention.  The exact paths and filename will of course vary by system and
personal preference.

I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for Windows.

David Scoggins
IT Analyst
CornerStone Propane
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]