Thanks everyone that replied with suggestions.

We are running on win 2003 server.

I had an idea to check system(3001) which is the universe user1 performance
monitor.

I can change it using:

  ASSIGN 1 TO SYSTEM(3001)

It shows up in the windows performance monitor, but:

  PRINT SYSTEM(3001)

always returns 0.

My thought was to make all application logons go through a simple check at
logon and if the value was zero, to dispatch a phantom, increment the value
and continue. thus providing a mechanism to launch a phantom process the
first time someone logs in after a reboot.

i.e.:

  VALUE = SYSTEM(3001)
  IF VALUE = 0 THEN
   EXECUTE "PHANTOM background.process...."
  END
  VALUE = VALUE + 1
  ASSIGN VALUE TO SYSTEM(3001)

I'm wondering why one can set the value "system(3001..3005) but there seems
to be no way to interrogate the value.