Interesting observation... I stopped and restarted universe and the value
remained unchanged in the performance monitor.  So this system(3001) counter
theory is not going to work anyway.

I've gone down the path of using a basic lock test (one of the 64 BASIC
locks) instead.  This method also requires that the phantom not ever log off
or the lock is cleared and another is started.  In my application, I
actually want to clean up some config/status files and remain running so
this is not an issue.

So, using something like lock number 60 to indicate the phantom process is
running.

all logons execute this little test and launch snippet::

  LOCK 60 THEN
  *
  * if I can lock, phantom not running, unlock the lock and dispatch phantom
  *
   UNLOCK 60
   EXECUTE "PHANTOM background.program ..."
  END ELSE
   * PHANTOM ALREADY RUNNING
  END

this is the PHANTOM background.program:
  LOCK 60 ELSE
   * another phantom is already running this program, so log off
   CHAIN "OFF"
  END
  *
  * do phantom processing code -
  *
  PHANTOM PROCESSING CODE IS HERE

fyi..  I don't want to test a value in a file since I need something that is
inherently 'reset' when the universe database is started. ie, the lock table
is clear. A value in a file would remain through a restart and would not
work.

If there is a more elegant solution, please chime in.  Thanks!