Hi Phil,

The predecessors to the "relational models" have been around since the
60's as well (earlier in some cases). My main point is that u2 databases
are very much as "modern" as any other technology. DEC RDB was around
(certainly in the late 70's), the older hierarchical DBM's such as IMS
etc. have been around since long before this.

I am currently having a fair bit to do with Informix and I can assure
you, universe is a lot easier to administer and understand how it works.
The only thing that we do not really have in u2 is raw disk access as
all u2 technologies tend to rely on cooked files. I am sure, if u2 came
up with an appropriate solution offering raw disk access, the
performance would probably increase substantially along with the
administrative overheads.

I have donned my flameproof underpants as I am sure there are proponents
of the other technologies who will disagree.

Only 2 days left for the list so may as well make it interesting 8-)

Regards

David Logan
Database Administrator
HP Managed Services