While one could make the argument that Pick has not embraced emerging
technologies as rapidly as the 'Big Three', it HAS done so.

U2, for example, has support for Java connectivity, XML, and I believe they
either have or are working on Web Services support (I know, for example, that
the DSEngine in DataStage has support for Web Services).

One could argue the need or purpose of supporting certain technologies, and
the level of support currently within the products, but to say that there is
"little/no" support is a bit uninformed.

The U2 products ARE supported in certain "Integration" software.  I wouldn't
typically consider SAP/PeopleSoft "integration" software.  They are Enterprise
Software Suites, but not geared particularly at 'integration'.

However, given that SAP and PeopleSoft OEM the DataStage product sets
for both of their "integration" products (SAP's BW, PeopleSoft's EPM,
JDEdwards stuff as well), and given DataStage works very well with both U2
products, this point is actually wrong.  People who have SAP or PeopleSoft
solutions CAN, very easily, integrate their U2 data to/from those environments.

As to 'efficiency', one can measure that in a variety of different dimensions.
From a memory/disk space/footprint/administrative overhead dimensions, the
U2 database products are VERY efficient.

Finally, as to being "slow", again this depends on the measurement criteria
being used. From the perspective of concurrent user access and the performance
of application style DB usage (largely input/output, multiple concurrent users, etc..),
the U2 products stand up very well to the mainstream guys. For support of VLDB,
highly transactional query-based usage models, and the like, it does not.

Trying to make the U2 products into what they are not is wrong. They are not the
panacea for every database requirement. However, for certain problems, especially
those for which it was designed (embedded database for application development),
it is very efficient.

Dave