Charles

I feel we may be in agreement here but I'm not sure.

A = 1 assigns a numeric integer. The expression need not contain operators
(+,-,etc) to be numeric.
A = "1" assigns a string however, as you have explicitly declared it to be
string.
A = "1" + 2 assigns a numeric integer value (3) as the result is numeric.
A = "one" + 2 assigns a zero - according to the error message.

For the benefit of those watching on the side-lines...

This is why a dimensioned array should (if possible) be used where
accumulations are concerned as the elements of dimensioned arrays are
individual variables and as such can by typed numeric to speed the
mathematics whereas dynamic arrays in this situation are always storing the
data as a string so conversions are carried out before and after each
mathematical accumulation.

Hope this has been of interest to some.

Cheers

Trevor Ockenden