In a message dated 4/4/2004 11:28:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> The other day.. i was inspecting a UV File with a UV Developer, he ran a
> "COUNT FILENAME"
> on our Customer Master... (BTW Quad CPU 4GHZ)... It took 12-15 Minutes to
> get a result
> back from UV. The file only had 800,000 Records.
>
> This kind of Operation normally takes "ZERO" Milliseconds
> in any Enterprise
> RDBMS.
>
> I had nothing to say but LAUGH!.
>
> Joe Eugene

Joe I think Zero is an exagerration.
However, if this file had an INDEX on it, you could get a "COUNT" by merely doing a
LIST-INDEX filename indexname someoptions
One of the output is the number of items indexed for each index entry, the total is
identical to the number of records in the file.
Will