We use Datamax labels printers. While I don't send straight
ASCII to it, I don't know if it won't accept it.

You could try calling their tech support 407-523-5540 and
ask them, they have always been very helpful and know their
products very well.

Can't speak for Zebra, havn't had to use one.

George

If you just need to send a few characters to allow it to
accept text, you could modify your printcap from unix
to prepend the characters and add some trailing data to
all print jobs that go through it, Shouldn't take too much
time (maybe 15 mins) to modify it.