George,

And maybe I can get the fellow what wants to get the new printers to do the work!
He's our Solaris guy, but I don't think his strength is in printers.

I suspect, though, that we'd take more than 15 minutes to figure out what command
sequences to send. :)
Also, Solaris uses System V printing with printer interface programs that use some
other scripting language that, again, I don't know (but maybe ...).  A quick look
tells me that what you suggest could be done, with another learning curve ...  No man
pages on our AIX or Solaris systems for printcap.

I did call the Datamax tech support, who referred me to Integrated Software Design and
Unibar.  The Unibar product looks nice but costs $3000 plus.

Thanks again, Karjala

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/05/2004 4:07:26 PM >>>
We use Datamax labels printers. While I don't send straight
ASCII to it, I don't know if it won't accept it.

You could try calling their tech support 407-523-5540 and
ask them, they have always been very helpful and know their
products very well.

Can't speak for Zebra, havn't had to use one.

George

If you just need to send a few characters to allow it to
accept text, you could modify your printcap from unix
to prepend the characters and add some trailing data to
all print jobs that go through it, Shouldn't take too much
time (maybe 15 mins) to modify it.