On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 19:41 +0200, Robert Klaar wrote:

> If there is one thing I've learned in these years using linux is to go
> with the mainstream and use what people use most, not doing so might
> land you in a position where something as basic, for a musician, as
> getting your soundcard to work seem hopeless due to lack of support.

Full ACK, but making music using Linux is done ...

> I think US would be wise to stay as close as possible to it, and even
> though switching DE's is not really that drastic, changing something
> like this might make it a lot more harder for an artist or a producer
> etc., with little computer experience, solving problems as the
> solution found in the forums might not be enough. Now, this is not a
> problem for most people who use linux since you get used to these
> things after a while switching distro's aso. and in general you get
> better at it but not everyone does this, especially not your typical
> artist type, that's why many musicians prefer mac's.

... by a marginal group.

PRO FOOLS and other stuff is used because humans are gregarious animals.
The trendies wish to be cooler, than ordinary Microsoft users. An Apple
computer is a status symbol and often not the best choice for a
recording studio.

We can't stay close !!! to the averaged "desktop user community", if we
need real real-time. It begins with default settings for the DE, e.g.
sound for the desktop. When I'm using the computer for office work etc.
I don't need audio, but the averaged user wish to have audio. If I use
it to make music, I won't here any voice from the trash can that is
double as loud as my recordings are.

Ralf