"You're making the right decision with XFCE. I ran Unity for several
weeks on both desktop and laptop, and finally ended up rolling back to
Maverick. I found Unity's workflow cumbersome even for "regular" desktop
work, and it's a bugfest as well."

I did not even try - saw it on a colleagues computer - and heard him
cursing. The last time I heard him curse so much he was using XP.