I don't know if this helps but I first tried xfce at Mint 5. To be honest,
the only difference I really noticed was that it was faster than gnome.
Otherwise - apart from the xfce logo, there seemed little or no discernable
difference. I had an old machine back then and so my only thought is that if
xfce is faster on an old machine, how much faster on a new one?

I say try it. Whats to lose? If the community try and like, it stays, if
they try and don't like then the developers have a choice.

Look at main stream ubuntu with this ghastly unity desktop. I will put money
that ubuntu 11.10 reverts to gnome. This idea of xfce as the DE for studio
works for me because Ive used xfce before. So based on experience this is a
welcome change for me. People generally do not like change but sometimes,
just as in biological evolution, Linux must adapt to ever changing market
environments in order to keep up and survive. Xfce could be a great idea but
unless one tries it and has first hand experience, I struggle to see any
comment as constructive. There are xfce editions of various distros out
there, it costs one disc to run an OS (without installing) and to see first
hand how good xfce is. Remembering of course that it wont be as fast from
the disk.

Try it, then post?

Anthony Hall.