James,

bringing launchpad to the desktop is a really cool idea. When I think
about what would motivate me more to help, finding things I can help
with is probably top of the list. There are a hundred different places
to help out, forums, irc, launchpad etc. And I can spend hours trawling
them all to find something I can help with.

If some small app new what I used regularly and what hardware I was
using then prompted me with related support questions then I would
almost definitely be answering a lot more.