On 17 February 2018 at 09:43, Neil J. McRae <n...@domino.org> wrote:
> However, you might want to look at P4 capable platforms which are looking
> very good for focused thin OS networking.

Are you using P4 at all Neil?

I'd be very keen to hear from anyone that is, what their experience has been.

I've downloaded the BMv2 target [1] and started playing around with
code that would run on x86 to test. However, when it came to real
hardware testing Barefoot Networks seem to have gone from one ASIC
which supports P4, from when I first looked into P4, to multiple ASICs
[2] but they don't seem to be in stock anywhere?!

If anyone has some P4 hardware, even in the lab, I'd love to hear
about your experiences. I've only tested it inside a VM which is
really more just letter one learn the syntax and architecture. I
wanted to test the impact of simplifying the forwarding pipeline to
the bare minimum to reduce latency, advanced/dynamic port buffers, and
iOAM. What have you managed to achieve with it that you couldn't
before?

Cheers,
James.

[1] https://github.com/p4lang/behavioral-model