CatBus;194976 Wrote:

> We'll see how this flies.  If things behave themselves, this has been
> the most bizarre router death I've ever witnessed.

I dunno, I have some neat ones from both a Belkin and a Netgear... the
Belkin was especially fun:
I could ssh into my linux machine from work
but Softsqueeze wouldn't connect, nor would http...
I could run VNC from the Windows machine, to the ssh server on a
linux machine at home, tunnelled back to work (2 trips through the
router!)... I could even run firefox on that machine just as slowly as
ssh/vnc usually is...
But I couldn't use that same browser to load the config pages on the
router, at least not reliably, it liked dropping the connection midway.
I had huge packet loss from any machine on the local network to the
router.  But the local network was fine, even playing music on wired
and wireless squeezeboxes...

I tend to believe that since Belkin uses a plain old Linux-based
system, and that in the 2 years I had they never ever did a software
upgrade... that they just didnt care: if it was broken, "go buy a new
one" was easier for them than actually maintaining code and updates.

My current router is actually a 2.5Ghz Celeron desktop... the Belkin
has been made into an Access Point only, and it works much much better.

--
snarlydwarf