Shellness;547167 Wrote:
> If I boot with the HDDs unattached everything goes fine.  If I boot with
> the HDDs attached, and the BIOS set to disable the SATAs, everything
> goes fine -but- it is booting from the HDD.

You can try this.
- boot the system without HDDs attached.
- run "mount" and see where / (root) is taken from. I suppose from
/dev/hda2
- run "e2label /dev/hda2 CF-root" to give a symbolic name ("CF-root",
take your pick) to the root partition. (assuming the partition is where
I suppose it is)
- Go to the system config directory "cd /etc" and edit file fstab (eg
"nano fstab") so that the line pertaining to / that looks like:

    /dev/sdb2   /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
--------------------

reads like:

    LABEL=CF-root       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
   1
--------------------

then save (ctrl-o with nano) and quit (ctrl-x).
- Now you need to update the config files on /boot to use the symbolic
name as well. Go there "cd /boot/grub", then
- Edit  file menu.lst and change the lines that read something like
"root=/dev/sdb2" to "root=LABEL=CF-root". There are potentially many
lines to change (*). Then save and reboot.

If you boot well, then try attaching the drives. If it fails, then it
is your installation of the boot system (grub) that got confused with
the order of the drives at install time. Assuming you still manage to
reach the filesystem on the cf-card, you'll want to edit
/boot/grub/device.map and change/generate menu.lst again.
If you re-generate menu.lst, double-check your LABEL=CF-root statements
are still there.

It should be easier. I tried to keep the directions simple, believe it
or not :)

(*) It would be safer to change only the matching entries after one of
the sections that starts with "title"; Assuming you have a screen and
keyboard to select a boot configuration. For example on the machine I
look at, I have:

  title         Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64
  root          (hd0,1)
  kernel                /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb2
ro console=tty0 console=ttyS1,57600n8
  initrd                /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64
  savedefault

  title         Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64 (single-user
mode)
  root          (hd0,1)
  kernel                /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb2
ro console=tty0 single
  initrd                /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64
  savedefault

where the 1st entry is the default, and the second one a failsafe
configuration. So changing only the 1st one to read something like
this:

    title               Testing...
  root          (hd0,1)
  kernel                /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64
root=LABEL=CF-root ro console=tty0 console=ttyS1,57600n8
  initrd                /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-amd64
  savedefault

--------------------

would allow you to test how things go, and fallback to the other entry
if you don't boot anymore...

--
epoch1970

Daily dose delivered by: 2 SB Classic (fw 130), 1 SB Boom (fw 50) •
SqueezeCenter 7.3.4 (Debian 5.0) with plugins: ContextMenu,
SaverSwitcher by Peter Watkins • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris
•  WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) •
FindArt, CDplayer by bpa • BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer by Triode •
PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • TrackStat by Erland Isaksson.