I think Paul is correct, sounds like the disks are hibernating. A couple
of things to try out;

In synology's web page interface go to
-control panel / HDD hibernation-
try unticking the options for disk hibernate and also the "DS will enter
standyby via WOL after the internal disk ...etc etc"
this will prevent the diskstation from being the cause
also, last time I looked, Synology LMS was an older version. Try going
into
-package center / settings / beta-
and tick "yes, i want to see beta versions!"

grab the latest beta and that will make everything more responsive

rPi 3 + rasPi 7" LCD + HiFiBerry DiGi+ | rPi 2 + IQaudio DAC+ |rPi 2 +
HiFiBerry DAC+ | Squeeze Box Touch | LMS + XPenology on HP Gen 8 |