Man in a van wrote:
> There are some hints in this thread
>
> https://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3071
>
> I think the gist is to install the tools and go from there.

That's useful, thanks.  They're talking about Ubuntu on a Joggler, so
that's probably my best shot at getting it working.

Man in a van wrote:
> this might be the better install to work from
>
> https://birdslikewires.net/squeezeplay
>
> There must be a link to a git-hub page somewhere?

Yes, I considered that.  Wouldn't be as satisfying as the 'ground up'
approach, but it could give a lot of pointers for what packages I can
remove.

Can anyone advise the best way to take an image of an installed system
(on a bootable USB), so that I can get the basic install done more
quickly after the first time, prior to messing about with wifi, removing
packages etc?