Well I have started with another fresh image of the Base system.

I decided to begin with a minimal desktop (hopefully it will make the
wireless set-up easier).

    sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends lubuntu-desktop

--------------------

It's been installing for a while now and I have been browsing around on
the thread at the O2 joggler forum and found this

> User avatar
> BuZz
> Site Admin
> Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am
>
> Re: Ubuntu / Xubuntu for the O2 Joggler.
>
> Post by BuZz ยป Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 am
> Thanks.
>
> The base image doesn't require xserver/emgd blob, but does include them
> (as it's designed to you can install what you want etc including
> desktop)

Then looking about xserver blobs I found this post

https://askubuntu.com/questions/937097/ubuntu-16-04-lts-how-is-the-x-server-started

That will do for another day I thought.

Then the install failed with a segmentation fault so I'm going to start
again tomorrow

It's almost time for a "facepalm" :rolleyes::rolleyes::p:):o

some rugger on't tv shortly ;)