I made a flashable internal image by starting with Roobarb's 1GB
internal Bionic image, and mounting the root partition with the loopback
procedure that was explained to me 'here'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110065-Can-I-resize-a-disk-image&p=932018&viewfull=1#post932018).

Then I emptied that partition and replaced it with the contents of my
working Joggler's root partition (via a tarball).  Then I zipped the
resulting image, made a corresponding md5 file, and flashed the image to
a second Joggler.

It booted ok, and started Jivelite with all the same settings as the
original Joggler.  I had a keyboard plugged in, ready to enter my wifi
details in /boot/network.yaml, and that stopped the touchscreen working
because it changed its event number.  But once I rebooted without the
keyboard it connected to my wifi and worked perfectly.

So now I have an end-to-end process.  Roobarb has 'some scripts'
(https://github.com/andydvsn/OpenFrame-Ubuntu) for doing this, and I
think his approach is better, because he cleans up the original root
partition as part of the process, but having done it manually I now know
the principles.

Next steps are to finish setting up the applets that I want, then tidy
up and make an image with everything set to defaults, and with a default
'joggler' user, rather than 'root'.