I found this:

                        if event:getType() == EVENT_MOUSE_PRESS or
                           event:getType() == EVENT_MOUSE_HOLD or
                           event:getType() == EVENT_MOUSE_DRAG then
                                if self.mouseAllowed then
                                        log:debug("'Per window' mouse event
allowed to pass through")
  --                                    return EVENT_UNUSED

                                end
                        end
                        log:debug("Closing screensaver event=",
event:tostring())

                        self:deactivateScreensaver()
--------------------

I'm not really sure what this is for, because there's already a 'return
EVENT_UNUSED' above this section if the screensaver is not active, so
this section appears to try to let certain mouse actions work when the
screensaver IS active, and by doing so it ignores those mouse actions.
So I just commented out the 'return EVENT_UNUSED' as above, and now the
mouse event is NOT ignored, and the code reaches the
self:deactivateScreensaver() line.

One unwanted side-effect is that the attached player also powers up.  I
may not want that - I might just want to clear the screensaver so that I
can select a different player, without powering up the current one, so
I'll see if I can find out how to stop that behaviour.  In the meantime,
this is not a bad solution.