I've now configured the 4B to replicate my 3B+, ready to switch it over
into my amplifier enclosure.  I have 9 buttons, each with a short and
long press, so I have quite a long string to define all the button
commands in sbpd:

    sbpd -v -d -f /home/tc/sbpd_commands.cfg b,27,POWR,2,0,RSRT,2000
b,23,PREV,2,0,PLAY,500 b,22,MIX-,2,0,MUTE,500 b,24,PAUS,2,0,STOP,500
b,25,MIX+,2,0,VMAX,500 b,12,NEXT,2,0 b,19,PRE1,2,0,PRE4,500
b,13,PRE2,2,0,PRE5,500 b,16,PRE3,2,0,PRE6,500
--------------------

This turns out to be close to the maximum length of string (255) that
can be accommodated in the User Commands section of pCP.  So it doesn't
allow me enough characters to define the player's MAC address for
instance (which I'd like to do to guarantee that the buttons on the
front of the amplifier only affect the player connected to the
amplifier's DAC).

I've tried to get around this by putting the sbpd command string into a
script file and then executing that script file from the user commands
section, but I haven't been able to get that to work.  I'd like it to
run as a daemon, exactly as the above code, but I found I needed to add
an ampersand to the end of the command in the script file (otherwise
pCP/LMS ran very slowly), and even after doing that the buttons did not
seem to work, even with a 'sudo' before the command.  The command
configuration seemed to be set up correctly according to the on-screen
messages, but the buttons didn't work.

So two questions.
1) How can I put that string into a script file?  Or,
2) Is there any chance that the limit of 255 characters could be raised
a bit?  I guess that's coming from the pCP interface, but is there any
limit to the length of the sbpd parameter string?