On 2/24/2021 1:43 PM, paul- wrote:
pgf wrote:
I'd like to try an extension that's available for TCL, but not listed as
available for pCP.

Is there a way to configure pCP to access a TCL extension repo?

Specifically, I'd like to install pulseaudio.  I currently run about
half a dozen CHIP ("$9 computer") boards around the house -- they run
squeezelite for music, and also pulseaudio so that I can feed them home
automation announcements, etc. across the network.  I don't know whether
squeezelite uses the pulseaudio install or maybe goes direct to alsa,
but the end result is that both audio sources (i.e., an LMS stream, and
a home automation caller-id announcement, for example) can both play at
the same time.  As my CHIPs die over time, I'd like to replace them with
raspberry pi boards and pCP, but I need this functionality.

Squeezelite on pCP directly accesses alsa.  Only one process can access
the alsa device at time, so you will need to do a full pulseaudio system
to do what you want.   You might try to build your system up with
RaspiOS, or use piCore directly.

If the hardware supports it, two processes can share the same alsa output by using the "dmix" device. With squeezelite I was able to get two processes to share the Analog Output using the same dmix device. I guess I was thinking that I could switch between streams by pausing one and starting the other in LMS but I never pursued it.

I don't know if pCP would support that.

John