On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 10:28:17AM +0100, Kolja Waschk wrote:
> >A fork by itself doesn't give you a formal release nor someone who
> >cares for it. If you or someone else wants to jump in here at
> >sourceforge to help it, you're welcome. I'd consider that more
> >desirable.
>
> Oh, that was unclear from my side. I meant to say *help here at
> sourceforge* is more considerable in my opinion, not forking.
>
> A fork does NOT magically
>
>  - bring all documents up to date
>  - make a formal release
>  - integrate more outstanding patches
>  - clean up more outstanding issues
>  - improve code quality
>  - separate chip data from code
>  - separate numerous adapter configs (pinouts) from driver code
>
> All of which is IMHO required for the main branch to live on,
> wherever it is located.
>
> In the first place, a *person* is needed.
>
> If there was a person with intents to do or steer all the above, and
> that *person* wants to move the project somewhere, okay. But moving
> first without anyone who cares better at the destination is no good
> idea.

So true.

Some input for a next release:

* Version number that indicates a date.  e.g.  2017.10, 2018.2, 2018.3
* Allow the person doing the release to make mistakes (allow learning)
* Keep notes about how to do a release in the git repository

If there are already some notes on doing a release,
then please tell the mailinglist(archive) about it.

> Regards,
> Kolja

Groeten
Geert Stappers