One my iPad I have everything turned on for iCloud and I am
sure everything is backed up with my backup file.  I do not
see all of my individual files when I access icloud except for
ones I added through a different means than the application.

The issue of apps becoming outdated and any files being
locked in with the app is serious to me.  Not a big issue to
solve if Apple wants to.

JB