Thanks Richard & Brian for digging into this.

Lacking the Linux knowledge I tried working backwards from LC Server 9.0,
trying 8.0 and 7.14 with no joy (internal server 500 error codes) - though
whether the issues are down to glibc version dependencies is beyond me.

Earlier versions have less/no documentation in the packages and seem to only
have 32-bit downloads available, which could introduce other issues (as the
server is running 64-bit CentOS 6).

I think it’s time to stop flogging this particular dead horse and find an
alternative dev environment pending target VPS OS upgrade, but thanks to all
for trying.

…and that opens another can of worms that may warrant another thread or two -
apologies in advance! :-)

Regards,
Keith